Wednesday, April 18, 2007

9:10 AM

The phone rings, I am at work with the news of VT ringing loudly on the television.
My son who I said goodbye to at 7:15 this morning calls to tell me that there is a gunman on the loose and his school is being put on lock down. He then proceeds to tell me he is not currently at school, he is sitting a mere 6 blocks away on the school bus. They are not letting anyone in or out of school and they have to wait on the bus until they are allowed in. 6 blocks away! sitting on a bus. Finally they lead the bus with full police guard they unload at the school with police protection they are lead into the school and told to go quickly.

It turns out that a bank 3 blocks away was held up at gun point, where 3 men thought they could get away with a robbery. Since I have heard that 1 has been shot and taken to the hospital, the 2nd has been taken into custody, and the 3rd is still on the run... god knows where.

In that moment that I received that call my heart sank to my feet. I am so glad he is safe now. Where I can smell his hair and touch his face and know today he will be OK. But what kills me as a parent is that we don't know what will happen and at what point we can feel safe.

Here is the link to the story: To close to home for me.

No comments: