Monday, April 10, 2006

Immigration

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.."

It's bad enough that we, as a country, let immigrants in to begin with, but I think reducing the number of Joses and Ricardo's that swim ashore is a very good thing. Some ELEVEN MILLION!!
Most illegal immigrants won't pay taxes. They'll commit crimes. They'll do nothing to earn their keep. Take our jobs that we have left and we have'nt outsourced to India.

Look, I don't see what these Mexicans think entitles them to come over here in the first place. It's almost as if they feel that this is owed them, just because their country is so downtrodden.
It's not our problem the Joses and Ricardo's of their country can't fix their problem. The sooner we ban immigration, the better..in all forms.
In California the cost of providing Health Care, Education...and Incarceration to illegal immigrants is $10.5 billion. This cost is magnified by the fact that illegal immigrants do not undergo any medical screening prior to entering the US, which means that border states have much higher rates of diseases like tuberculosis and...wait for it...leprosy. Moreover, illegal immigrants utilize emergency rooms for primary care at a rate of 29%, which is nearly three times the rate of the population in general (11%). Of course, Illegal immigrants have to utilize the emergency room, since illegal immigrants make up 15% of the total number of uninsured people in the country.
***Edit****
Let me clearify that I am talking Illegal immigrants, some just come over for free labor and delivery so the child can become an automatic US Citizen and stay forever. Some Immigrants have earned the right to be here, they have been accepted leagally, pay taxes and have taken measures to become US citizens the corect and legal way.
Also I understand Outsourcing is a totally seperate issue and is to blame of US government trying to save pennies, therefore I probably should have saved that for a different topic altogether.

4 comments:

FRITZ said...

Okay, then stop telling Republican meat packing plants to stop bringing them over.

There are villages in Mexico with one phone line connected to chicken processing plants in the states. The booth is manned day and night. When it rings, someone will ask for ten or fifteen people to 'come on!'. So, they go. Because they have nowhere else to go.

Do you think people really want to leave their homelands? No. They leave for the same reasons your ancestors left...the chance for a better life.

I'm not suggesting the answer is permitting every 'Jose' and 'Ricardo' in. However, I think this kind of argument smacks of racism and intolerance. We can get upset about tax dollars melting away into care for illegal immigrants, but that pales in comparison to funding of 'the war on drugs' or 'the war on terror'--both pointless. We'd be better off taking care of our own, and stopping Republican corporates from outsourcing jobs (funny you mentioned that, since job outsourcing is not only a NATO problem, but a problem of Joe Republican wanting to take his dollar farther by paying a third world citizen far less than an American).

You asked for intellectual discussion?
You got it.

Stephanie said...

fritz: Just because there are villages in Mexico ready and willing does that make it right?

There is a reason they call it illegal immigration!

FRITZ said...

My question was what are red-blooded Republicans doing to dissuade meat-packing plants from enticing folks to come over?

What if you couldn't feed your children because the government was corrupt? (more corrupt than what we have now). What if you couldn't get adequate health care because your husband didn't work at a good job to provide it? What if you couldn't drink clean water? What if you couldn't educate your children properly?

What would you do?

Or, do you simply have a better walk in life because you were born American?

How compassionate is THAT?

I don't get you people.

Stephanie said...

I can't speak for all red-blooded Republicans, which I am not, most likely nothing is being done to prevent it. Surely you can tell that wasn't my original topic of discussion?

The world can not be lived by what ifs! I am lucky, yes, to be born in America as Is my family for dozens of generations. Just because ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS can not get that in the country they live in doesn't mean we should shoulder the burden of every one that illegally come into the US.

You ask what would I do? Well I will tell you. I would legally try to enter the US and earn it! Become a hard worker, pay taxes and not expect a free ride for just crossing the border. I can only life my life as an American citizen the best of my abilities and not look for a handout from the government. I pay taxes, my family and I have never been in the welfare system. Compassion is giving (as I do) to the people in Darfur, Asia, Congo and so many other poor nations that struggle to live without being raped and pillaged.

But, I guess you wouldn't get "us people" for having an opinion on illegal immigration